What is an action for wrongful death? A wrongful death action is a statutory right to sue given to the surviving members of a deceased family member. In order to bring a wrongful death action, a death must have been caused by the wrongful, negligent, careless, or reckless act of a person, company or municipality.
In the event that a loved one has lost their life due to negligence or wrongdoing, you may be able to file a wrongful death suit. An attorney can be instrumental in helping you handle the legal aspects of your case in your time of great sorrow. At Rogers & Driver, we pursue wrongful death actions throughout Kentucky and Tennessee. We handle wrongful death actions involving: tractor-trailer, automobile and motorcycle collisions; work-related; and premises liability.
Prior to initiating any lawsuit or claim against a potential defendant, Rogers & Driver will perform a factual investigation. We encourage our clients to provide us with as much information as possible about the accident that caused the death of a loved one. Listed below are some things you can do in order to resolve a wrongful death case in your favor.
If you do not already have any of the information listed below, we will obtain it for you.
- Provide us with information about any Life Insurance Policies, purchased by or on behalf of the deceased.
- We will need the names and contact information of all surviving family members.
- Do not discuss your case or accept any forms of compensation from the entity that you believe caused the death of your loved one.
- We will obtain copies of any accident reports that may have been taken at the time the accident occurred.
- We will obtain copies of any hospital and medical reports that were taken after the accident.
- Obtain the names and phone numbers of any people that may have witnessed the accident.
- Save any photographs you may have of the accident scene.
- Save any pieces of clothing that your loved one was wearing at the time of the accident.
- Obtain a certificate verifying the exact date of death. Most wrongful death cases may only be initiated within one (1) year of the date of death.
- Inform us of any other individuals that have suffered death for the same reasons as your loved one.